Not sure if this one has been relocated off Whitby Ontario Year of Build: 1877 Official Number: 72964 CONSTRUCTION AND OWNERSHIP Built at: Marysburg (Milford), ONT Vessel Type: Schooner Note: a “timber drougher”, ports in transom to haul large timbers of 2′ x 2′ white oak Hull Materials: Wood Number of Decks: 1 Builder Name: Coopers Yard Master Carpenter: George Dickson or Dixon Original Owner and Location: Charles Stewart Wilson, et al, Picton Ownership Notes: Reportedly, last schooner on Lakes to carry a square fore topsail POWER Power: Sail Number of Masts: 3 DIMENSIONS Length: 131.25′ Beam: 25.17′ Depth: 12.5′ Tonnage (gross): 483.73 Tonnage (net): 457 FINAL DISPOSITION Final Location: South of Whitby, ONT Lake Ontario Date: 1925 How: towed to deep water & sunk HISTORY 1879 Owned, Leslie, et al, Kingston, ONT. 1880 Stranded North Fox Island, Lake Michigan; released by tug WINSLOW, taken to Detroit. 1883, Apr Raised, rebuilt. 1884, Sep 13 sank in Peninsular Harbor, Huron Bay, Lake Superior. 1884, Sep 26 Raised by wrecking tug INTERNATIONAL. 1888 Went ashore 1889 Rebuilt as STUART H. DUNN; 164′ 8″ x 26′ 8″ x 12′ 7″, 484 gross tons. 1910 Reduced to a tow barge. 1915 Owned C. LaBrecque. 1920 Collision with pier, sank, Port Dalhousie, ONT; recovered, not returned to service; later abandoned, Whitby, ONT. 1925 Sunk; owned John E. Russell, Toronto, ONT.
TAYLOR, W.R. Schooner. Home port, Kingston. Om Sept. 6, 1884 Schooner went ashore at Heron Bay, Lake Superior with a cargo of railroad iron; got off with hull damage of $5,000. Insurance $21,000. Disasters to Lake Shipping, 1884 Cleveland Herald Nov. 28th. 1884
LOSS OF THE “W.R. TAYLOR.” — It was reported this afternoon that the schooner W.R. TAYLOR, owned by Mr. Leslie, and others, went ashore on the Manitou and became a total loss. It was only a few days since she cleared from Chicago with corn for Toronto at a very renumerative rate. The weather has evidently been very severe. The vessel is insured. The crew were composed of Kingstonians. The W.R. TAYLOR was built at Picton in 1677 and owned by Messrs. Wilson, of Picton, and Lister, of Collins Bay. Her measure is 419 tons. She rates A 1 and is valued at $14,500. LATER — Just previous to going to press we learned that the TAYLOR ran ashore near the South Minitores, (Manitous ?) which place she was making for shelter. The crew are saved, including the following: Captain, Simmons, Kingston; first-mate, Anthony LaRush, Wolfe Island; second-mate F. Thompson, Kingston; sea-man A. Felix, Kingston, brother-in-law of the President of the Sailors Union, Mr. C.W. Crowley. Kingston Whig-Standard November 24, 1880
THE TAYLOR ACCIDENT. — The schooner W.R. TAYLOR which went ashore at South Manitou, laden with corn for Toronto, has nine feet of water in the hold. Her cargo is a total loss, as the vessel will likely be. The vessel is insured for $13,000 on a valuation of $18,000, equally divided between the Orient, Greenwich and Manhattan Companies. The cargo consisted of 25,000 bushels of corn, shipped by Wm. Young & Co., and is insured for $12,000, equally dixided between the New England Mutual and Orient Mutual. Kingston Whig-Standard November 25, 1880
TAKEN OFF. — The schooner W.R. TAYLOR, ashore at the South Manitous, was successfully gotten off on Wednesday last, by the tug WINSLOW of Milwaukee. Two steam pumps were operated on the vessel. She will be towed to Milwaukee if possible. She is in fair condition. The expense of rescuing the vessel will be very large. There may be trouble regarding the matter as the owners had telegraphed to the Insurance Company that they had abandoned the vessel. The telegram was not received until after the expedition had set out. Kingston Whig-Standard December 10, 1880
Captain Martin Blackburn, the wrecking master, has made another excellent rescue. A dispatch from Glen haven, signed by Captain Blackburn, announces that the schooner W.R. TAYLOR is off and in the harbor at South Manitou. The corn cargo is of course a total loss, but the vessel is in fair shape. The tug WINSLOW did the pulling, and is now with the vessel. The J.W. Hall Great Lakes Marine Scrapbook, November, 1880
The Canadian schooner W.R. TAYLOR that went ashore two years ago on the North Fox Island, lake Michigan, and was abandoned to the insurance companies and towed to this port, has been sold to Captain Henry Buckley for $4,500. She was pumped out and towed to the dry-dock today for repairs. The J.W. Hall Great Lakes Marine Scrapbook, March/April, 1883
Schooner S.H. DUNN. Of 535 tons. Built at South Bay in 1877 by Dickson. Rebuilt in 1889. Owned by Dunn & Co. Home port, Kingston. REMARKS. — Formerly W.R. TAYLOR. Inland Lloyds Vessel Register Canadian Hulls, 1890
Schooner STEWART H. DUNN.* Built 1877. * formerly schooner W.R. TAYLOR. Name Changes from Registry Books of the Dominion of Canada, on December 31, 1913. Sessional Papers Vol. XLV11 No. 16 Barge STUART H. DUNN.* Official Canadian No. 72964. Built at South Marysburg, Ont., in 1877. rebuilt at Fort Robinson, Ont., in 1889. Of 458 tons register. Home port, Toronto, Ont. 164.8 x 26,8 x 12.7 Owned by Russell Construction Co., Toronto, Ont. * A recovered wreck. List of Vessels on Registry Books of the Dominion of Canada on the 31st. Day of December, 1933
Toronto Harbour Commission Tug Jno. E. Russell in drydock for repairs etc. Toronto, Ont. May 21, 1916 Library and Archives Canada
Russell – Research Findings new March 12, 2020 Joanne Doucette
John E. Russell – Research Findings February 10-14 2020 Joanne Doucette
19111130 GL Too much sand in the concrete
19111130 GL Too much sand in the concrete
Too much sand in the concrete
Too much sand in the concrete
Too much sand in the concrete
Too much sand in the concrete
Research Findings February 7-9, 2020 Joanne Doucette
Seven Rescued From Flaming Gasoline Launch: Story from The Globe
Young Girl Heroine When Boat is Burned on Lake at Midnight: Story from The Toronto Star, June 15, 1931
Research Findings February 5, 2020
Russells listed in 1911 City Directory
Research Findings February 2-4, 2020 Joanne Doucette
Joe Russell, blue-eyed, good-natured and hard-working, changed the East End and the City of Toronto forever, as did his cousin John E. Russell. I will be posting more about Joe in the days to follow, but since there is a massive amount of material, it would be best to sort it a little and add some narrative to make it easier to digest and more interesting to read. So this is really a teaser and perhaps I should have saved it for his birthday — April Fool’s Day as he certainly enjoyed a joke.
Joseph Russell (1868 – 1925) was a Toronto businessman and politician. He was the oldest son of John Russell, a brick maker and stone cutter. Joseph Russell was from brickmaking clan like the Prices and the Morleys, only the Russells were Irish Anglicans. Joseph Russell was first cousin to John E. Russell who became famous as a salvage operator and contractor.
“Joe” Russell owned the brick works at 1308 Queen Street East at Alton Avenue. Russell provided much of the supplies used building the Toronto Railway Company’s paint shop in 1913. The Toronto Transportation Commission’s Russell Carhouse may be named after him. Joseph Russell was a candidate for the Ontario legislature in 1908 but was unsuccessful. Supporters then nominated him as an Independent candidate against incumbent Conservative MP Albert Edward Kemp, splitting the Conservative Party in Toronto East.
Kemp’s opponents accused him of neglecting constituents as well as hiring foreign workers (Macedonians and Italians) at poor pay to undercut Canadian workers. Russell won praise for offering rates of pay that allowed workers to “live in houses of their own, and not herd a dozen into a room.” Russell defeated Kemp by almost 800 votes in the 1908 federal election, but Kemp rebuilt the Conservative Party riding machine and defeated Russell three years later in the 1911 election. Russell returned to provincial politics, winning a seat in the 1914 provincial election. Russell served as the Conservative member for Riverdale from 1914 until 1918.
Joseph Russell and his sons’ families in the 1881 Canadian Census
Joseph RUSSELL, M, Male, Irish, 73, Ireland, Brick Maker, Church of England Martha RUSSELL, M, Female, Irish, 65, Ireland, —, Church of England
John RUSSELL, M, Male, Irish, 42, Ireland, Brick Maker, Church of England Mary RUSSELL, M, Female, Irish, 36, Ontario, —, Church of England Martha RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 17, Ontario, —, Church of England Elizabeth RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 15, Ontario, —, Church of England Joseph RUSSELL, , Male, Irish, 12, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Emma RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 11, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Anne RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 9, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Mary RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 7, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Nellie RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 6, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Gertrude RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 4, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Alexander RUSSELL, , Male, Irish, 3, Ontario, —, Church of England Eliza SMITH, , Female, Irish, 23, Ontario, —, Church of England 1881 Census
James RUSSELL, M, Male, Irish, 33, Ireland, Brickmaker, Church of England Emile M. RUSSELL, M, Female, Irish, 30, USA, —, Church of England Martha RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 10, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Anna RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 8, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Jane RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 6, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England James RUSSELL, , Male, Irish, 5, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Emily RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 1, Ontario, —, Church of England
18810701 Thomas RUSSELL, M, Male, Irish, 33, Ireland, Brickmaker, Church of England Elizabeth RUSSELL, M, Female, Irish, 32, Ontario, —, Church of England Joseph RUSSELL, , Male, Irish, 8, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Martha RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 6, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Thomas J. RUSSELL, , Male, Irish, 5, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Elizabeth RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 2, Ontario, —, Church of England Thomas CHARLTON, , Male, English, 23, Ontario, Laborer Scholar, Church of England 1881 Census
William RUSSELL, M, Male, Irish, 47, Ireland, Brickmaker, Church of England Jane RUSSELL, M, Female, Irish, 30, Ireland, —, Church of England John RUSSELL, , Male, Irish, 9, Ontario, Scholar, Church of England Joseph RUSSELL, , Male, Irish, 3, Ontario, —, Church of England Mary RUSSELL, , Female, Irish, 1 Born: Aug; 9/12, Ontario, —, Church of England 1881 Census
Thomas Smith of England and Toronto, Canada (ca. 1802-1881) innkeeper at Norway, East York (Toronto). (info from St. John’s Anglican Church, Norway East Toronto
Thomas’ father may have been a United Empire Loyalist that made the following claim for property. (Smith, Thomas Kingston OC 19 Feb 1808(7) OC 2Aug 1797 (restored)). This suggests that the first claim was 1797 followed by a lapse with a further claim in 1808.
Thomas may have been a Chelsea Pensioner. A record for a Thomas Smith in 1831 is a good match for him and coincides nicely with his marriage date in East York.
Thomas Smith may have immigrated into Canada close to the time of his marriage. A 27 year old Thomas Smith, carpenter, is listed as arriving aboard the vessel, Siroc, in 1829. This is a perfect match for Thomas who by several census records appears to have been born in 1802.
I suspect he lived in the Simcoe area until about 1840, then moved to East York. (village of Norway) I have reason to believe he might have been a tradesman in the early days (blacksmith, carpenter) but later became a farmer/innkeeper. There was a Thomas Smith, blacksmith, in the first census of Barrie in 1837 and his youngest daughter was born there. The connection with Barrie is further strengthened since Thomas was living with his eldest daughter, Elizabeth Cundle, in Barrie in 1881.
Spouse: Ann Camack (Carmack or Camach)
Married May 1, 1830 at St. John the Baptist, Norway (still exists at 470 Woodbine Ave.).
Children and grandchildren:
1. Ann Smith born 1831 in Ontario d. 1848
2. Elizabeth Smith born 1833 in Ontario m. Thomas Cundle d. 8 July 1912
3. James Smith (2), b. 24 January 1838 at Toronto, Ontario, m. Ellen Loane, 16 October 1862 at Trinity Anglican, East Toronto, d. 4 February 1910; 5 grandchildren
4. Richard Smith, b. 1840 at Fort William, m. Agnes Noel, 27 June 1865 at Durham, Quebec (Congressional Church), d. 19 March 1906; 8 grandchildren
5. Mary Smith, b. 1844 at Barrie, Ontario
James Smith 1838-1910
James Smith (2), b. 24 January 1838 at Toronto, Ontario, d. 4 February 1910
Father: Thomas Smith Mother: Eliza James (married 24 May 1827 in Toronto, Canada)
During his childhood and youth, the family lived in Norway village, East York. They operated a store and pub on Kingston Road called the Norway House Hotel. James was also the road “toll keeper”. (Toronto’s Lost Villages, Ron Brown: p.99) After 1872 the family moved to Barrie where their last two children were born. In 1879, they moved to Emerson, Manitoba where James brother, Richard, operated a hotel. James and Ellen managed the Manchester House in Emerson during 1887-88-89 before taking the farm at Ridgeville.
Father: William Loane, b. 1806 at Cork, County Cork, Ireland Mother: Sarah Winnett, b. at Killaloe, Ireland
Buried in Smith plot, lot 33, block 34 Ellen’s obituary says she died at age 92 which does not agree with gravestone. Also confusion over her birth date. Graveyard info from Judy suggests she and James had same birthday, but Carolyn Pelletier history suggest one given here.
Married 16 October 1862 at Trinity Anglican, East Toronto.
Children and grandchildren:
Sarah Jane Eliza Smith, b. 16 October 1865 at Scarborough, Ontario, d. 1943
Thomas William Smith, b. 15 December 1867 at Barrie, Ontario, m. (Minnie) Wilhemena Ellen Tohm, 1898 at St John’s, Norway, East Toronto, d. 6 September 1946 at Duncan, British Columbia; 8 grandchildren
William Smith, b. 1869
James Smith, b. 5 November 1872 at Barrie, Ontario, m. Laura Emiline Lenton, 1898, d. 16 October 1942; 7 grandchildren
Ella (Ellen) Alice Smith, b. 12 December 1874 at Barrie, Ontario, m. Andrew Gilchrist, 4 February 1904 at Ridgeville, Manitoba; 4
1845 Smith Mary Smith, b. 1845 in Canada in Barrie, Ontario Father: Thomas Smith, b. 1802 Mother:Eliza James Mary Smith was the youngest child of Thomas and Eliza. According to the 1861 census she was “born in Barrie” but in subsequent years after here marriage she lived in East Toronto. Her husband, John Russell, was a brick maker or stonecutter in 1881, however in 1857 at the age of 18 he was recorded as a labourer. In 1892, John was living in Simcoe, Vespra near Barrie. Their son, Joseph, became a member of parliament for East Toronto. Spouse: John RUSSELL (1839 – ) Married 1 December 1863 in Toronto by Rev. H.J. GRASETT.
Children and grandchildren: 1 Martha Russell (1864 – ) 2 Elizabeth Russell (1866 – ) 3 Joseph Russell (1869 – ) 4 Emma Russell (1870 – ) 5 Anne Russell (1872 – ) 6 Mary Russell (1874 – ) 7 Nellie Russell (1875 – ) 8 Gertrude Russell (1877 – ) 9 Alexander [Alexandra] Russell (1878 – ) 10 Alexandra Russell (1880) 11 Mable Russell (1888)
Russell Family Tree
Research Findings February 1, 2020 Joanne Doucette
More about John Russell, activist, brick manufacturer and Alderman
Brickmakers hated the toll booths on Queen Street as they drove up the price of bricks on a road that was a morass of mud much of the year and certainly after a heavy load or two of bricks went over it. John Russell was an leader in his community, and, though a reserved man, he was what would be known as a community activist today.
18880418 GL Sale of Cooper property Gerrard and Pape to John Poucher ( a real estate agent) After George Leslie, John Russell was the largest landowner in Leslieville, but for different reasons. Leslie needed land to grow things on; Russell needed the land itself — the clay to make bricks. Perhaps like Leslie who had lived through the Highland Clearances, he, having lived through the Famine, was wary of leasing land from a landlord. Both bought as much land as they could, selling it off when they no longer needed. Both became rich men, the equivalent of millionaires today, not through their primary businesses, but through real estate deals like this. Russell bought the land where the LLBO is at Pape and Gerrard for $7,980 and sold it for $18,000.
Grand Lodge of Canada 1885
19110513 Globe Real Estate sale John Russell property Jones Ave
19110513 TS Sale of Russell property on Jones Ave
Research Findings, January 30 & 31, 2020 Joanne Doucette
Research Findings, January 29, 2020 Joanne Doucette
Research Findings, January 28, 2020 Joanne Doucette
Research Findings, January 27, 2020 Joanne Doucette