Month: May 2017

Who’s Who: Gerrard-Coxwell to Norwood Ave.

Back in 1907, Shacktown was springing up along Coxwell and Gerrard and new streets welcomed British immigrants with their “tarpaper castles” and big dreams. New names filled the City Directories, creating a puzzle for their compilers and editors. Just what to call this new suburb? This area was not part of the City of Toronto until 1909, but neither was it part of the Town of East Toronto east of Norwood Road. It was in the old Township of York East. City Directories, like many others, did not know what to call the “no man’s land” between the City of Toronto and the Town of East Toronto. Here they lump it in with the old village of Norway which was originally centered around the “four corners” at Kingston Road and Woodbine. But many others called it “Midway”, simply because it was midway between Toronto and East Toronto. Almost 100 acres of the hilly, ravine-cut area belonged to the Toronto Golf Club. The Golf Club stretched between Coxwell and Woodbine, north of what is now Dundas Street, …