Month: September 2016

1909 Township of York Directory

Some of the streets included Applegrove Avenue (now part of Dundas St E), Ashdale, Bellefair, Berkley Ave., Birch Avenue (now Silverbirch Avenue), Burgess, Cassells, Coxwell Ave., DuVernet, Erie Terrace (now Craven Road), Fern Ave., Gerrard Street, Gibson Ave., Hambly Ave, Hiawatha Rd., Hubert, Kenilworth Cres., Kingston Road, Lee Ave., Oak Ave. Reid (now Rhodes Ave.), Waverley  Rd., Wheeler, Woodbine Avenue, etc.

The Old Toronto Golf Club links

  George Brown (1818-1880), a good Scotsman if ever there was one, desperately wanted to see Scotland’s national game brought to Toronto. He and his successors at The Globe published a series of articles over the years encouraging the playing of golf and the formation of a golf club here in Toronto. James Lamond Smith brought golf came to Toronto in 1869. He played near Yorkville and near Kingston Road. In 1876, he and his friends formalized the arrangement, founding the Toronto Golf Course,  the third oldest golf club in Canada, but oldest in Ontario.  It used land east of Coxwell just north of the Woodbine Racetrack. This was on the Small’s Farm at Small’s Corners. The site was leased from the heirs to the Charles Coxwell Estate. Charles Coxwell Small’s father,  John Small, purchased a 200 acre farm on Lot Five, First Concession, from Paul Wilcott in 1801. Paul Wilcott was  married to one of the Ashbridge daughters and each member of that family received at least 200 acres of land in the late 1790s. John Small was …