from MUD ROADS AND PLANK SIDEWALKS: LESLIEVILLE 1880
By Sam Herbert (1876-1966)
In the year 1884, Orient Masonic Lodge, having outgrown its lodge rooms at the corner of McGee Street and the Kingston Road, decided to erect a new Masonic Hall, and a site was procured at the north-west corner of the Kingston Road and Boulton Avenue.
A special communication of the lodge was held on June 30th, 1885 when the Grand Master, most Worshipful Bro. Hugh Murray with his Grand Lodge Officers, laid the corner stone. A procession was formed outside the lodge room on McGee Street and marched via McGee Street, Eastern Avenue, Scadding Street to the Kingston Road and Boulton Avenue. The procession was headed by the band of the Toronto Garrison Artillery. A large concourse of spectators witnessed the ceremony. It is interesting to note that both the buildings referred to are still standing and in good condition.