Looking west from Greenwood Avenue over the abandoned brickyard where Greenwood Park will be created later. Note the horses grazing in the distance.
Looking north east Greenwood Avenue Orchard and Logan’s Brickyard Chimney, 1901. This was before Greenwood’s Lane was widened to become Greenwood Avenue.
Greenwood Avenue was widened in 1909. Gerrard and Greenwood was a major streetcar junction with Greenwood cars going north-south to Danforth and Queen and Gerrard cars going east-west.
John Price built this handsome house at 100 Greenwood Avenue. It is a showcase for his “John Price Red”, considered by many to be the best brick ever made in Canada.
The tavern sign shown simply illustrates one possible rendition of a hanging sign for a Puritan tavern. The original sign has long been lost. The house of Frederick Greenwood, son of John and Catherine on Queen at Vancouver Avenue.
Mayor Church and Parks Commissioner Chambers tossing the coin to decide which team will go to bat first at the first ball game in Greenwood Park. This was on the opening day.
Greenwood Avenue looking south from the GTR Tracks, 1901. Courtesy of the Toronto Public Archives.
216 Greenwood Avenue. Isaac Price, brother to John Price, and also a brickmaker, built and lived in this house.
Globe, June 6, 18999 I will cover Greenwood’s many brickyards in a separate blog.
Toronto Star, December 24, 1930
Globe, December 7, 1928
Globe, May 5, 1925
Globe, September 18, 1922
Globe, March 26, 1898
Greenwood memorials, St. John the Baptist Cemetery, Norway (Kingston Road and Woodbine Ave)
Globe, November 7, 1865
Charles Greenwood wins regatta Globe June 14 1880
Globe and Mail, November 25, 1944
Globe and Mail, January 12, 1937
Toronto Star, May 7, 1932
Toronto Star, May 2, 1928
Globe, August 13, 1915
Daily Mail and Empire, September 3, 1895
Globe, April 20, 1882
Globe, June 14, 1880
Globe, April 11, 1968
A 19th century Carriage works.
Toronto Star, February 2, 1928
Like this: Like Loading...
Published by Leslieville Historical Society
Welcome to the Leslieville Historical Society's website. Please feel free to join us, to ask questions, to attend walking tours and other events, and to celebrate Leslieville's past while creating our future. Guy Anderson, President, Leslieville Historical Society and Joanne Doucette, local historian and webmaster.
View more posts
One thought on “Greenwood Avenue”
Very informative. We have owned the house a # 3 Boston Avenue since 2000
and any information , other than it was the “manse” for a local church dating
to the 1870’s. The building pre-dates City Hall records and the “Goad’s ”
index search has left us bewildered about our house’s history. Could you
offer any more information about our property? It would be greatly appreciated.